ProperHosting provides our clients with Web Hosting accounts that permit the use of CGI files, PHP scripts, and other executable programs. Because these scripts use much more system resources than standard HTML pages, certain restrictions must be made governing the use of such "active content" systems. We regret that in many cases we are unable to determine what specific script or application is causing the system resource over-run. Under most circumstances, we are able to pin-point it to the offending account on the system. The following rules apply to all "active content" files as listed above:
- The script must use low system resources. Scripts that consume a large amount of our RAM or processor will be subject to immediate suspension until the owner can be notified and an alternative solution is reached.
- Each user account may not use more than 20% of system resources at any given time. If an account is consistently using 20% or greater system resources, the account holder will be warned and if no action is taken on behalf of the account holder the account may be suspended.
- The scripts may not interact with any server configuration or hardware. Accounts running these scripts are subject to immediate account termination without refund.
- The script can not be used or referenced from any other site not hosted by ProperHosting.
- The script must execute in a timely fashion. Any script that uses the processor for more than a few milliseconds is subject to removal.
- Any script that appears to be designed specifically to attack or otherwise maliciously affect the server is completely unacceptable, and if such scripts are found in your account the account will be terminated immediately and your actions will be reported to the proper local, state, and federal authorities and legal action will be taken to prosecute the account holder to the fullest extent of the law by ProperHosting.
- Perl-based chat room scripts are strictly prohibited.
- Scripts that require high-bandwidth usage, such as non-Perl chat room scripts or banner rotation scripts, will be allowed to run only on our high-end accounts.
- Scripts must be kept secure. Unnecessary chmoding scripts to 777 is a violation of this policy. Keeping scripts in a publicly viewable directory (one without a index.html file) is also in violation of this policy. NOTE: If a script will NOT execute with a permission other than 777 (rarely the case) you may contact customer care to get approval for the script which will be given under most circumstances.
Any accounts with scripts found in violation of these policies are subject to future scrutiny of all CGI, Perl, CFM, ASP, and PHP scripts by our System Administrators. If a script is found to be harmful to the system, it will be killed immediately and the account locked down until the account owners have been contacted. Malicious scripts are subject to immediate account termination without refund of any pre-paid monies.
A Virtual Server is shared. As such, there are many accounts per machine. In all fairness, ProperHosting cannot allow one or two clients to use all of the System resources on a shared machine and have all other clients on the machine suffer because of it. Excessive CPU usage by one or more clients causes extreme slowness in all areas: FTP, Telnet, Web Sites and more. If the CPU usage gets too far out of hand, all sites hosted on the machine will return Errors and not be accessible in any way.
All accounts that are found to using excessive amounts of system resources will receive an email warning from ProperHosting. This warning will inform you that there is too much CGI running and it will provide options for reducing the usage or upgrading your server. If you do not reduce the usage within 24 hours of the email being sent, your account will be cancelled.